- Vitamin D is known as the ‘sunshine vitamin’, as typically we get this vitamin from warm and sunny climates. It is a vitamin which works in many areas of the body, and most people are deficient in the vitamin.
- Vitamin D helps calcium uptake into the bones, so it is important for maximising bone strength and preventing osteoporosis, which is especially important in the elderly since they are more likely to suffer falls.
- Vitamin D plays a large role in immunity, helping to protect you against infection and viruses. It has also been found to be important for cognitive health and depression, so vitamin D is a great supplement to help your defence and brain health.
Key Ingredients and Benefits
- Taking vitamin D as a supplement would be ideal for the following:
– Those living in colder and less sunny climates
– Those with osteoporosis or potentially at risk of bone fractures (e.g elderly)
– To support their immune system function
– To support brain health and mood
Recommended Usage and Guidelines
Since this is a strong dose (10,000 International Units), 1 capsule per day would be sufficient, and this dose would quickly improve your vitamin D levels. Once your vitamin D levels are sufficient you would need a maintenance dose, which would be between 2,000-5,000 IU’s per day.
Getting a blood test to check vitamin D levels would be a good choice for your health, and if your levels are coming in under 70ng/mL then you are lacking this vitamin. Ideally we should be in the range of ~80-130ng/mL.