- Magnesium is a crucial mineral for our bodies, it is the second most common mineral in our cells and performs a wide variety of functions, yet most people today are deficient in magnesium.
- One main benefit of magnesium is its ability to calm the nervous system and muscular system. Calming these is important to set you up for a good nights sleep, and in combination with a good pre-bed strategy (e.g reduced electronic screen use) will help you get a restful sleep.
- During a training session, we deplete magnesium by up to 20%, and therefore it is important to replenish this mineral which is key to so many processes in the body. But magnesium extends further to support our blood sugar, kidney and neurological health, this is because it helps absorb glucose, balances calcium and helps brain function.
- A chelate means that you have connected two things at two or more points, imagine merging a football between two rugby balls, this means it is able to pass through the intestine and get absorbed better.
Key Ingredients and Benefits
- A magnesium supplement would be perfect if you are looking to improve your sleep, and also if you are looking to recover better between workouts. This is because it brings the nervous system to a more relaxed state, which is important for sleep and after a workout when you will have been more alert.
- It would also benefit someone who is looking for a staple supplement to cover a few bases for their health, and magnesium does that by helping brain, heart, kidney and metabolic health.
- This magnesium supplement would not help your bowel regularity as MagCitrate would, so this magnesium would be more for your sleep and performance aims.
Recommended Usage and Guidelines
The dosage might depend on your deficiency, so it may be worth getting tests done to know your magnesium levels. A good dose would be 1-4 grams of magnesium, this would ensure you are not deficient, this would mean 2+ capsules per day.